Wednesday 19 October 2011

3D Printing

After Yoakim modelled up the fish in CAD and he had it printed in the workshop, I went and collected them, ready for painting.
Yoakim's fish design.
Picking up the fish, SO exciting!

We originally intended for the fish to be printed on the new plastic 3D printer- this is why we left a small hole in the middle. We designed it so that there was room to insert a weight into the middle- in order to ensure the fish was heavy enough, so that it wouldn't move when not being controlled by the motor. As there was a confusion between us and the workshop our fish were printed on the sand printer. This wasn't a big issue - as this made the fish heavy enough, without the need for a weight inside. (Although the hole came in useful when I got to glueing the halves together..)

I wanted the fish to look semi-realistic. This, like most of the other tasks, took longer then expected. I had hoped..
The workshop men advised me on which glue was ideal for the powder based 3D printing. In order for it to work you had to mix the two tubes together. What a MESS that created..
The painted, glued together fish with string in the middles so that they can hang. I am happy with Yoakim's CAD designing and my craft skills..

No comments:

Post a Comment